An inquest jury has ruled that 23-year-old Zydre Groblyte, a Lithuanian factory worker at RGE Engineering in Godmanchester who died on April 27th after being crushed and sustaining a severe head injury by a printing machine which started while she was inside it, died accidentally. Nevertheless the standards of the supervision and training that is provided to staff in the company has been questioned – particularly with regards to staff who have a poor grasp of English.
Ms Groblyte had been an employee at the factory for eight months. She was working at making panels for use in washing machines when the unfortunate incident occurred. The jury concluded that Miss Groblyte had inadvertently got through a safety gate, perhaps by stepping over it or going through a gap in it.
The jury came to a verdict of accidental death on the final day of Ms Groblyte’s inquest. The head juror stated –
“The jury believes on the balance of probability that the ongoing supervision of temporary workers, particularly those with poor or little English skills, was neither consistent nor adequate. Inconsistency and inadequacy in training and supervision of a colleague was therefore a contributing factor, more than minimally, negligibly and trivially to the death of Miss Groblyte.”
The juror went on to say –
“We believe more likely than not Miss Groblyte’s colleague accidentally activated the machine by either pushing the start button or pedal.”
The jury also came to the agreement that it should have been known by management at the factory that workers were accessing the machinery other than through the safety gates. They also believed a contributing factor to Miss Groblyte’s death was a failure to provide a safety guard that would deactivate the machine when someone was inside it.
the Health and Safety Executive is STILL conducting an investigation into the accident.
An RGE Engineering spokeswoman stated that the firm “respects the verdict by jury in this matter”.
She then stated –
“The circumstances surrounding Zydre’s death remain under investigation by the Health and Safety Executive so it would not be appropriate for us to comment further at this time. Our sympathies remain with Zydre’s family and friends.”