Monthly Archives: January 2013

Contractor Sustains Head Injury at National Grid Construction Site

A 24 year old contractor was ‘crushed by machinery’ at the National Grid construction site in Eade Road, near Harringay, north London this morning and has sustained head and shoulder injuries as a result. He was subsequently rushed to hospital ‘as a priority’ from the site, where National Grid, as part of a London Power Tunnels project, are tunnelling towards St John’s Wood. Apparently the man was crushed by machinery as he embarked in a tunnelling operation; however a National Grid spokesman stressed that this was not the case and that the tunnel is structurally sound.

The spokesman would not explain how or why the contractor was injured, in spite of the fact that another employee reported that he was told that another workman had been crushed and had to have medical treatment administered while in the tunnel. The National Grid spokesman stated –

‘An incident took place at the Eade Road construction site in Harringay at approximately 6am today. A contractor working at the site sustained non-life threatening injuries and received medical treatment. Our thoughts are with the contractor and we hope he has a prompt recovery. Health and safety is of paramount importance to us.’

The spokesman went on to say that work had been halted temporarily at the site while the incident is being investigated and that there “is no problem with the tunnel structure, it was an accident. The structure of the tunnel is sound.’

After the incident, tunnel workers were swiftly evacuated from the site. Fire-fighters, police and paramedics were alerted about the accident and arrived shortly after.

A spokesman for London Ambulance said –

‘We were called at 6.05am to reports of an incident at Eade Road, N4 We sent two ambulance crews, a single responder in a car, two duty managers and a London Air Ambulance crew by car, as they do not fly at night. Staff treated a 24-year-old man for head and shoulder injuries. The patient was taken as a priority to the major trauma centre at Royal London Hospital.’

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) have been alerted about the accident are conducting an investigation.

Aviation Worker Dies in Factory Accident

A 47-year-old aviation worker from Cambridge died following a crushing incident Saturday afternoon in a factory run by CAV Ltd near Newmarket Road in Cambridge. According to reports, the employee was trapped under “a piece of heavy metal”. The ambulance service has stated that the injuries he suffered were internal and traumatic. His body has not yet been identified.

CAV Ltd is an aerospace manufacturing firm, the factory in question stores components for aircraft wings. The Marshall company, who leases the factory to CAV, was alerted to the accident and offered assistance at the scene to police and paramedics.

Terry Holloway, a spokesman for Marshall said –

“Our security staff assisted the emergency services with handling the accident and we also provided medical assistance from within Marshalls.”

An East of England Ambulance Service NHS Trust Spokeswoman has said paramedics were contacted at 1.23pm about a man who had been crushed by heavy metal material and could not be accessed easily. Sent to assist at the scene were a clinical manager, a double-staffed ambulance and an air Fire and Rescue.

A helicopter crew from the emergency medical charity Magpas were also sent to the location of the accident to aid the crushed man; however he later died at the scene. Police were at the site over the weekend and an investigation by the Health and Safety Executive was also carried out. The Civil Aviation Authority has been informed about the death.

A spokesman for Cambridgeshire police stated – “We are working with the Health and Safety Executive to look at the circumstances around the incident to see if any offences have been committed.”

Owen McFarlane, CAV Ltd group chief executive, said that the man who died was an agency worker from another company. He was working at the time that the accident occurred. He went on to say that the company are co-operating fully with the investigations and that condolences go out to the deceased aviation worker’s family.

Mainetti UK fined £81,600 for Factory Worker’s Conveyor Belt Injuries

Mainetti UK has been fined £81,600 after a worker suffered serious injury when her hair and scarf was caught in machinery. The factory worker – Kelly Nield, 24, from Ellesmere Port – could have been killed in the “horrific accident” it was asserted in Mold Crown Court. She sustained injury to her neck and throat as well as hair loss and a fractured finger – still suffers from disabling injuries. The coat hanger maker company admitted to four breaches in health and safety protocol at its plant at Deeside, Flintshire.

The court was told that the horrific accident occurred on agency worker Miss Nield’s first day of sorting hangers while working on a conveyor belt in April 2009. According to prosecutor, Simon Parrington, she leaned forward to clear a blockage on the line when her scarf became entangled in a cog mechanism that was not adequately guarded. Her hair then became entangled and as she tried to free herself, so too did her left hand get caught. Her neck, throat and hair were seriously injured.

Mr Parrington then went on to describe how Miss Nield attempted to free herself and then shouted for help. Eventually, another worker rushed to her aid and pushed the main “off” button for the conveyor belt which was located a distance away. Miss Nield spent three months in hospital and has undergone numerous operations and she has still been left with disabilities nonetheless.

Mr Parrington went on to say that because there was no emergency stop button located on the line, Miss Nield was not able to save herself, and she could easily have died. Barrister of the defendant, Simon Antrobus, said that Mainetti’s managing director and senior officials wanted to publicly apologise to Miss Neild for injuries that she had suffered. The company, which has a base in Scotland and has been in business for 38 years, had immediately admitted full liability and did not wish to “pass the buck”.

The company’s safety procedure that was in place had not been followed; the company should have discovered this sooner. The barrister then said that the firm had relocated to a new factory at Greenfield from its Deeside plant, and has implemented a “root and branch” safety review.

Judge Niclas Parry referred to the incident as “an accident waiting to happen”. It was “a horrendous accident”, said the judge. “The worker had suffered dreadful injuries, and it was clear that no guidance or instruction had been provided to her

Mainetti UK was fined £60,000 with £21,600 costs.

Following the hearing, HSE Inspector David Wynne spoke about the matter –

“These horrific, life-changing injuries sustained by Ms Nield could easily have been avoided if the right safeguarding measures had been taken by Mainetti (UK) Ltd. There are well-known risks associated with working with conveyor belts. It is vital, therefore, that the risks are fully assessed and guarding provided to prevent access to moving parts. Where appropriate, emergency stop controls should be installed in readily accessible places.”